Thanks for Visiting!
Hyannis Supporting Our Youth, Inc. (HySOY) was birthed from the Greater Hyannis Civic Association's Voices of the Village meeting in April 2011. With an active core membership, and many others willing to provide mentoring, the group is diverse in its strengths. Members include former or current educators and principals, pastors, business people, parents and grandparents. Each member has committed to supporting Hyannis youth through both existing programs and through the creation of new initiatives. Members work on Mentoring, Early Literacy Initiatives and Childhood Enrichment Opportunities to support our youth. We currently meet the first Tuesday of every month at 530pm at Faith Assembly of God (154 Bearse's Way) and new members and interested parties are always welcome. Please contact Sue Cwynar, director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to volunteer.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Monday, December 10, 2012
For more information email email@example.com or pick up a permission slip:
- Barnstable United Elementary School Main Office (8am-230pm Mon-Fri)
- United Cultures Resource Room at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center (3-530pm Mon-Thurs)
Friday, December 7, 2012
Where: 1st Lutheran Church on Route 6a in W. Barnstable
What: Alternative Giving Market
We are one of the charities they are highlighting. You are able to choose different charities and donate monetary amounts in your name or those of your family and friends. This is a great, tax-deductible way, to give gifts for the holiday season.
For more information, follow this link: http://flccapecod.
It was also highlighted in the Cape Cod Times:
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Sunday, December 2, 2012
1st Tuesday: Early Literacy & General Business
Friday, November 30, 2012
The Greater Hyannis Civic Association's Supporting Our Youth Task Force (HySOY, Inc) is currently recruiting adults (aged 21+) to mentor kindergarten students at Hyannis West Elementary School for the 2012-2013 school year.
- We would like mentors that can make at least a one year commitment and would prefer a four year commitment--kindergarten through grade 3.
- Mentors meet with one student for about 1 hour per week between October and May, either before school, after school or during the lunch period. In addition, mentors receive training for 1 hour, one time per month. This provides an opportunity for people who work a 9-5 schedule to see students before school, those working a 7-3 schedule to see students after school, and those with a more flexible schedule to coordinate either of the three times.
Retirees, young professionals, and people with bilingual language skills are urged to apply. Mentors will develop a caring, one-on-one relationship with a student through playing games, talking, eating lunch or practicing social and age-appropriate skills together. Times to mentor include 8-9am, the lunch hour, and 330-430pm. With some times a little earlier and later depending on the student's before and after care program times.
Please see our agency listing under Cape Cod Volunteers for more information about the Supporting Our Youth Task Force or our website: http://hysoy.blogspot.com. For more information, or to sign up to be a mentor, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call .
Spend one hour per week (before school, during lunch OR after school) at Hyannis West Elementary School with a student who could benefit from a mentor. This program runs November through June each year.
Spend 2.5 hours per week (3-5:30pm) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays OR Thursdays with students in grades 3-5 helping with homework, academic skill building, reading or recreation. Located at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center, this program runs through Memorial Day each year.
Treasurer--We are currently looking for a treasurer to sit on our board. Two meetings (1.5 hours each) per month, as needed accounting including check writing and balancing, deposits and coordinating with the clerk for annual reports.
Grant Writing--looking for individuals with grant writing experience to help on an as needed basis to help fund this FULLY volunteer organization.
Fund Raising--looking for individuals to pitch and implement fund raising events and ideas with board support.
- books in new or like-new condition for children aged 0-12
- healthy SNACKS, packaged, for our Homework Help program which serves up to 28 students each day (Monday-Thursday)
- Board Games for students in Kindergarten through 6th grade
- Gift Certificates or "Sponsorships" to area activities like Barnstable Recreation, dance classes, art classes and sports organization
- Auction Items--goods, services or gift certificates to local businesses to auction at events
Monday, November 12, 2012
During our meetings we organize and implement our mentoring, homework help, literacy and sponsorship programs and are always looking for volunteers to help us with this important work of building positive community with our youth.
Here is the general outline for meetings:
1st Tuesday: Early Literacy and General Program Information
2nd Tuesday: Homework Help Implementation and Evaluation
3rd Tuesday: Mentoring Implementation, Evaluation or Training
4th Tuesday: Sponsorships and General Program Information
5th Tuesday: As applicable, Training, General Business
For more information, email email@example.com.
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Volunteers are meeting on Tuesday, November 13th at 4pm to go over skill building activities, the schedule and last minute details.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
508-258-9111 ~ email@example.com ~ hysoy.blogspot.com
- Students should always have their homework agenda and/or folder. If homework is not assigned, this needs to be clearly marked in the agenda. Students will be given skill-building assignments if they do not have homework.
- For each academic station, students will receive a daily assessment of effort. For students who do not display effort in two of three stations for one week, they will receive a warning. The second week of non-effort will result in a week suspension from the program. The third week will result in suspension for the remainder of the grading period. Parents can reapply for the following grading period.
- Mutual respect is expected of all students and volunteers. If a student is disrespectful, a phone call will be made and a meeting will be set up if deemed necessary. If poor behavior continues, students will be asked to leave the program.
- If you are under 15 minutes late, you will receive a warning
- The second time you are late for pick up your child will be suspended for one week of the program
- If you are over 15 minutes late your child will be suspended for one week of the program
- After the week suspension, additional lateness will result in suspension for the remainder of the grading period
- The third issue will result in permanent dismissal from the program
- Large Group Meeting for ALL volunteers will be tomorrow, Tuesday, November 13th at 4pm at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center. We will go over the list of students, check lists, sign in/out sheets, the tentative volunteer schedule and how to help with skills, reading and homework.
- Homework Help will begin on Monday, November 26th. It is Mondays-Thursdays from 3-530pm on regular school days following the Barnstable Public School schedule.
- If you are on this list and are UNABLE to help with Homework Help for the 2012-2013 school year, please REPLY to this message and say UNSUBSCRIBE. This will help us to know who is able to volunteer.
- If you are volunteering this year, check the schedule below (or tomorrow at the meeting) and make sure these are the times that you can do. If you cannot do each week, you will not be on this list but we would still LOVE to have you volunteer when you can make it. We cannot have enough volunteers, so if you are able to help 1, 2 or three times per month--we still want you! Feel free to join us whenever you can.
- Also, if you are an adult volunteer and have not filled out a CORI and SORI check at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center, you need to do this. Please drop in any weekday between 830 and 330 to pick one up--go to the reception desk as you enter the building and tell them you are volunteering and need a criminal background check form, fill it out and they will take a copy of your license as well.
- If you know of other people that would like to volunteer we can use a few more adult volunteers and at least 3 more high school volunteers. Feel free to forward this message to your friends or invite them to the meeting tomorrow.
- Please look at the schedule and think about if you could coordinate on any day. We would like to get coordinators for Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. This means that you would:
- Take attendance--students will be arriving on one bus from Barnstable United (grades 4 & 5) and another bus from HyWest (grade 3)
- Hand out snack--once for grades 4 & 5, once for grade 3
- Call home for students that are absent and leave a message saying that they are absent
- Be the point person for the day and take any information from volunteers and parents
- Help out where needed
Monday, September 10, 2012
I hope that you had a great summer! Here are a list of meetings for September, all are in the United Cultures Resource Room of the Hyannis Youth and Community Center:
Tuesday, September 11th 5:45pm socialize 6-7pm HySOY general meeting--initiatives, programs, vote for new treasurer
Saturday, September 15th 11am-2pm Cape & Islands Family Festival at the Cape Cod Mall.
Tuesday, September 18th 5:15pm socialize 5:30-7pm HySOY meeting--Technology--bring your laptop, IPad or email us if you need one to use--we'll go over email, spreadsheets, lists and other useful things.
Email me if you are tech savvy and can provide childcare instead.
Thursday, September 20th 3:30-4:30pm Homework Help Training for HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.
Tuesday, September 25th 4-6pm Homework Help Training for ADULTS. Any adult interested in helping out with Homework Help should attend this training.
Tuesday, September 25th 5:45pm socialize 6pm--HySOY Meeting--programming, administrative tasks for Mentoring & Homework Help
Wednesday, September 26th 7 to 8:30pm--HySOY Mentoring Training for mentors at Hyannis West Elementary School
Please email me back if you plan to attend any or all of these meetings. Everyone is always welcome and we'd love to add some new members to our core group this year!
HySOY, Inc Director
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
- Homework Help--helping students with their daily assignments and projects
- Skill Building--helping students to work on their English and Math Skills
- Reading--helping students to complete at least 15 minutes of reading per session
- Recreation--helping students be active and learn important skills like working in a team, turn taking and conflict resolution
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
We have a posting on Cape Cod Volunteers:
We are currently recruiting volunteers that are interested in helping students in grades 3-7 at our Homework Help Program for the 2012-2013 school year.
During the school year, the Supporting Our Youth Task Force of the Greater Hyannis Civic Association provides Homework Help at the Hyannis Youth & Community Center, United Cultures Resource Room.
Dates: October 1, 2012 through May 23rd, 2013
Times: 3:00-5:30pm (you choose 2-4 dates per month)
We serve up to 28 students per day, on a Monday & Wednesday and Tuesday & Thursday rotation. Older students are in groups of 6 and do homework, skill-building activities, reading and recreational activities at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center. We have volunteers help in the area in which they feel most comfortable (homework help, reading, basic skill building and recreation).
Volunteers can help with:
*Subject area homework--math, science, English, social studies
*Elective homework--art, music, drama, vocational studies
*Projects for classes
*Studying for tests
*Writing and Study Skills
If you are interested in volunteering, please email Moira Bundschuh, director, firstname.lastname@example.org. We are asking volunteers to commit to a minimum of two days per month. (If you are vacationing for part of that time, we can accommodate this.) If you have an area of specialty (bilingual language skills, math, special education, reading, etc.), let us know and we will mark it down. Each volunteer will need a CORI check performed through the Hyannis Youth and Community Center. We will provide these at the trainings. We welcome adults, high schoolers, and retirees.
Sunday, June 24, 2012
through the Hyannis Supporting Our Youth Task Force. Volunteers will help students choose, read and complete requirements for the Summer Reading Lists provided by the Barnstable Public Schools.
July 10th through August 16th
Tuesdays & Thursdays
11am-12pm Hyannis Public Library
4-5pm Hyannis Youth and Community Center
Email email@example.com or call 508-258-9111 to sign up your child. Please leave child's name, age, grade entering in September, parent name, telephone number, phone and email (if applicable) as well as what days/times you would like.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Summer Reading Help
for Students in
Summer Reading Help for students entering grades 4-7
Students choose, read and complete assignments from the
Tuesdays & Thursdays
July 10th through August 16th
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
We will have three meetings this summer:
Wednesday, June 27th from 4-8pm at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center to develop a budget and work on our 501(c)3 status
Friday, June 8, 2012
The Hyannis Supporting Our Youth Task Force will be hosting a Summer Reading Program this year for students entering grades 4-7. Volunteers will spend one hour per week working with children either 1-on-1 or in small reading groups of the same book to help students complete their required summer reading. If you would be interested in volunteering one hour per week for 6 weeks (July 10-August 16) either Tuesdays or Thursdays 11am-12pm (Hyannis Public Library) or 4-5pm (Hyannis Youth and Community Center) please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will have an Information and Training Session on:
Monday, June 18th at 4pm at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center's United Cultures Resource Room.
Also, we received wonderful donations of books for our summer reading program last year from Greater Hyannis Civic Association and Task Force members and would like to continue to supplement our library at in the United Cultures Resource Room at the HYCC. Students will use these books when they are there and we also use them during the year with our Homework Help program. If you would like to purchase (new or gently used) copies of the following books, or make a monetary donation for books (checks payable to the Hyannis Supporting Our Youth Task Force), please email us at email@example.com.
Thank you so much for your continued support!
Summer Reading Selected List
4th Grade Books & # of Copies Desired:
The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Cleary, 3
Basketball Bats, Hicks, 5
Frindle, Clements, 5
Amazing Athletes Series: David Ortiz, Venus and Serena Williams, Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, David Beckham, Dwayne Wade, Freddy Adu, Maya Moore, Michael Phelps, Lerner Publishing Group, 5 of same person
Martin's Big Words, Rappaport, 5
How Big Is It? A Big Book All About Bigness, Hillman, 5
So You Want to Be President?, St. George, 5
5th Grade Books & # of Copies Desired:
Love that Dog, Creech, 5
Bud, Not Buddy, Curtis, 2
Lost and Found, Clements, 5
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Lewis, 4
The Lightning Thief, Riordan, 3
Artemis Fowl, Colfer, 5
Hatchet, Paulsen, 5
Ella Enchanted, Levine, 5
6th Grade Books & # of Copies Desired:
Among the Hidden, Haddix, 5
The Lightning Thief, Riordan, 3
Hatchet, Paulsen, 5
Maniac Magee, 5
Al Capone Does My Shirts, 5
The View from Saturday, Konigsburg, 5
Bodies from the Ice, Deem, 5
Mummies: The Newest, Coolest, and Creepiest from Around the World, Tanaka, 5
7th Grade Books & # of Copies Desired:
S B. It, Weeks, 5
Hunger Games, Collins, 5
Million Dollar Throw, Lupica, 3
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice, Hoose, 5
Swindle, Korman, 5
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
June 9 & 10: Hyannis Maritime Festival-we will have a booth at Azelton Park with children's crafts, sponsorship opportunities and more information about what we do. We have some great prizes to give away as well. Feel free to visit us and learn more.
June 17: Father's Day Car Show--Hyannis Main Street--visit our booth in front of the Hyannis Public Library and learn more about us and sponsorship opportunities.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Friday, May 11, 2012
If you think that you would like to:
- spend one hour per week with a student at Hyannis West Elementary
- can commit to a minimum of one year, with a preference of four years to the same child
- make a difference in the life of a child and provide positive support to a great school
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Monday, April 30, 2012
We have about 20 children looking for full or partial scholarships to summer activities such as camp, swimming, tennis, sailing, basketball, baseball, gymnastics or arts and crafts. To fund these programs we still need to raise about $1500--with a little over $5000 having been generously donated so far! Thanks so much for your support!
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Tuesday, April 24th at 6pm at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center's United Cultures Resource Room
Saturday, April 28th at Noon at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center's United Cultures Resource Room
For more information and to RSVP email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-258-9111.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
When donating, you will receive an entry for a variety of door prizes for every dollar that you donate for the children’s summer camp programs. The door prizes will be selected on June 17, 2012 and winners may pick up their prize at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center on Tuesdays from 6-7:30pm.
Ice Time– For Men Only
Men’s Size 11 Hockey Skates
Men’s Large Bruins Shirt
Business Professional’s Special
Electronic Esthetics- PC System Cleaning
Laptop Case:, Phone Card
For Women Only
Port Cargo Women’s Designer Sweater
and Gift Card
Family Day at the Beach
Sea Street Café Gift Card/Beach Tumblers
Children’s Novels/Sandcastles Supplies
Designer Beach Attire
Mariner’s Mirror Designer Beach Bag
and Beach Blanket
Old Time Cape Cod
Centerville Country Store Framed Print
Thursday, April 12, 2012
We are looking for volunteers to help with a book drive to collect new and like-new children's books for ages 2-8. This book drive supports the organization's Early Literacy Initiative. Volunteers will obtain and decorate boxes and place them at various locations around Hyannis. Get the whole family involved in decorating a box, placing it at a local business, checking to see when it is full and then dropping it off at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center on Tuesdays from 5-7pm. Contact Pat Cassidy, Literacy Coordinator, at email@example.com for more details and see our listing on www.capecodvolunteers.org.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Tuesday, April 24th at 6pm--Mentor Information Session--HYCC--learn more about mentoring a student at Hyannis West Elementary School for 1 hour per week during the 2012-2013 school year. Baked goods needed.
Wednesday, April 25th at 6pm--Internet Safety Workshop for Parents--HYCC, Shepley Room--In conjunction with the Barnstable Police Department and the HYCC, police officers will lead a workshop on keeping your child safe on the Internet.
Thursday, April 26th at 5pm--Sponsorship Information Session for Parents--HYCC--Parents of students in our Homework Help Program will learn about different summer activities and will receive help filling out sponsorship and scholarship application paperwork. Anyone with Spanish or Portuguese translation skills is urged to volunteer during this time. We are trying to place 28 Homework Help students into summer activities. Baked goods and sponsorship donations needed.
Saturday, April 28th at Noon--Mentor Information Session--HYCC--learn more about mentoring a student at Hyannis West Elementary School for 1 hour per week during the 2012-2013 school year. Baked goods needed.
Tuesday, May 8th at 6pm--Hyannis Supporting Our Youth Anniversary Party--HYCC--Join us in celebrating our 1st anniversary as an organization! Learn more about our different programs, meet other people that are involved and enjoy a fun social time with other people that are building positive community with our youth.
Saturday-Sunday, June 9-10th--Hyannis Maritime Festival--Azelton Park--Help us at our booth. We will be doing sponsorship donations, raffles and children's crafts.
Sunday, June 17th--Father's Day Car Show--in front of the Hyannis Library facing Main St--Help us at our booth. We will be doing sponsorship donations and raffles.
Tuesday, April 24th at 6pm - Mentor Information Session--HYCC--learn more about mentoring a student at Hyannis West Elementary School for 1 hour per week during the 2012-2013 school year. Baked goods needed.
- Wednesday, April 25th at 6pm - Internet Safety Workshop for Parents--HYCC, Shepley Room--In conjunction with the Barnstable Police Department and the HYCC, police officers will lead a workshop on keeping your child safe on the Internet.